Monday 8 July 2013

The candle rock

I've been neglecting the blog the last few days but I was out enjoying Taiwan instead (and the internet was down last night). Any how the last few days has definitely been full of highlights including the National Palace Museum, the Yehliu Geopark and the Shilin Markets.

Start with the National Palace Museum, the place was packed, there were so many people there but we saw some great ancient Chinese pottery and artwork. I don't know how they manage to do it considering it was made thousands of years along. Though I guess see don't see all the duds that they made first. The piece were so well preserved a well, it just amazing how they are managed not to the damaged over thousands of years. Unfortunately we were not allowed to take pictures in the museum but we got a few outside. The guide recognised my Australian accent too, that is the first time someone has so far.

After the museum we headed to the Shilin night markets. I loved the markets, thats how I imagined Taipei to be like. I ate so much there, I had sugared strawberries on the way into the market, I had squid as dinner along with some sort of red iced fruit drink, it was nice. I then found the underground section of the markets and it was crazy. So many people that you could barely move, eating so many different things. It was there I saw the snails for the first time. So I brought two and a beer and gave them a try. I did not like them, they were eatable but I wouldn't if I had the choice. They were just so chewy and salty and had a wired dirt tasting after taste.

The Shilin Markets 

That was also the first time I had walked around the city by myself (I lost everyone pretty quickly) and it was good because I really got time to stop a look at the city and watch the people and see the culture. And I really love it!

The fun continued the next day when we went to the Yeliu Geology Park. We had a really good guide that spoke great english and really knew his rocks (I think I am a little bias since I come for a geo background). The rock structures were so cool, you just do not see structures like that in Australia because it's an old continent in comparison to Taiwan and all the delicate rock structures have eroded away. My favourite was the candle rocks just because they were so smooth and unusal!

The candle rocks

No comments:

Post a Comment