Sunday 21 July 2013

Mt. Hehuanshan I'm on top of the world



Today I really noticed how much the other students say ‘delicious’ especially the Taiwanese and Chinese students. They just say it really funny, I just wanted to mention it. And another thing I have really noticed about Taiwan is there no trashcans ANYWAY yet the country surprisingly litter free. Where is it all going? In Oz there is rubbish bins on most streets and yet still you will find the odd bits litter floating around. How are they doing that?

Anyway back to what is actually did today, after a 6am get up we hiked to the peak of Mt. Hehuanshan. I thought we would have to do a lot more hiking the reach the peak but the bus virtually dropped us at the top. The views were great definitely worth waking up for (I’m not a morning person just as a heads up). I took some great panoramic shots. The mountain was previous used by the army for communication so it was an easy walk up because there was a nice concreted road. I meet a Taiwanese guy at the peak that had been to been to Australia too and his eyes sure did light up when I said I was from Newcastle and just said how much he loved it. I did not know I lived in such a nice city until everyone keeps telling me.


The gorgeous mountain range (Kim just happened to be posing for a photo at the same over the left side but it really added to the photo)

After that we headed to another peak. It was a lot busier and we only had a short time there but I was a great view because we could see right down the valley. I found a really nice flower on that peak too; think it’s my favourite so far.


 The flower, it was only about 2cm across.

The day before we went for a great walk at Taroko National Park through heaps of cave to a waterfall and to ‘The water curtain cave’. It was such a great walk because were there just was not a boring bit. Normally when you go bush walking you walk for a while just to see one thing but this path was relentless with spectacles. The walk started with a cave that had bats and once through the cave you could see down the gorge and see the metamorphic marble we witnessed the day earlier. Then we got to a waterfall and went across this bridge that moved heaps as the walked across it. That was a little scary, I wouldn’t cross that bridge when it’s windy. Underneath the bridge however there was really blue clear pools that you just want to swim in (because we were so hot after the walk) but there is no way of getting down to them.     



The pool underneath the bridge

The walk continued through more tunnels (that I found out were all hand carved by Chinese soldiers after they left China after World War II) until we arrived at the ‘water curtain cave’ and it was wet. I did know what to expect but it was literarily a curtain of water. So being the type of person I am, of course I had to walk through it fully clothed with runners on but it was so refreshing.

Then we got back in the bus and drove to Meifeng Farm. On the way we stopped at a really big tree and tasted some peach honey that was so nice. I really wanted to buy some to take home but there is no way it would get past customs (Australia has some of the toughest customs laws in the world, no fresh produce can be brought in from overseas).

When we arrive at Meifeng Farm the temperature had dropped, we had moved to 3000m above sea level. The farm looked nice and tomorrow we are off the explore it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment