Sunday 21 July 2013

The Grand Gorge

Ok, I thought the geo park was rock heaven but today came a close second as rock paradise. Today I witnessed the magnitude of the Taroko National Park and was mind blown by the grandness of it's gorges. The gorge we walked around was made up of black and white marble and green schist as it progressed deeper into the alpine mountains. I really loved the wavy patterns in the marble caused by metamorphic processes when it was formed. 

The beautiful wave pattern on the marble

After that we left the park for lunch and for the first time I had frogs stomach. I am still confused how they manage to dissect out just the stomach for such a tiny animal. Anyway the taste was a cross between chicken and calamari and very chewy, I did not really like it. Though I still can't believe how good the prawns are here, I always thought Australia's prawns were really good but I was wrong. I think it because they cook them fresh and serve them hot compared to Oz were they are cooked and then iced. 

Moving on from my prawn obsession, after lunch we walked through tunnels to see more of the gorge in hard hat I might add (you know shits getting serious when your issued a hard hat). Unfortunately it started rainy but it was ok, it makes the rocks like shiny. We then went to a nice red bridge that had great views of some nice green schist outcrops. There was a little Japanese temple there too made from marble of course since we were in a marble gorge. 

After that we drove to Tienhsiang Youth Centre to stay for the night and as we walked into out room monkeys were playing just outside our bedroom in a tree, that was exciting. They were so close to the window. We had such great views from our room too, a huge marble outcrop towered over us mixed with little patches of vegetation! Today was the best day so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment