Monday 24 June 2013

The First Smell

Today was the first day I really experienced Taiwan or Taipei to be more exact and it was great. I called this post The First Smell because that is what I really noticed as I adventured around the street of Taipei. On every corner you can smell noodles or friut and just food in general and I know I have to appreciate those different smells while I can still smell them because over time you just don't notice them as they fade into part of the scenery.

So today started with a little information about the program and I finally meet Jack. It is weird finally seeing in the guy you have been emailing for months. I imagined him as an old academic... but he's not.   I find it a little funny too when the other non-native english speaker find it hard to understand my English. They pull the funniest facial expressions trying to listen. I really have to remember to slow down when I speak and pronounce my words properly. I think they have learnt American English too which pronounce some words differently and Americans talk slower in general. Just as a bit of fun here is a youtube video of someone with a Scottish accent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vgBZPdWL3U) so you can how much harder it is to understand them ( sometimes even Australians struggle to understand them).

  

No comments:

Post a Comment